How to Treat a Wasp Sting

Summer has finally arrived and we can look forward to months of (hopefully!) warm weather, barbecues, beach trips and garden parties. However, the warmer weather does also bring some unwanted pests – wasps. That familiar buzz can quickly ruin an outdoor picnic or trip to the pub and many of us worry about being stung.

Wasps stings are usually harmless but they can be extremely serious if you’re allergic. Prompt treatment can help to reduce the pain and discomfort and it can even be life-saving, so read on to find out more.

Normal local reactions

The majority of people will have a ‘normal’ (i.e not severe) local reaction to a wasp sting. Symptoms include a sharp pain at the sting site, redness, swelling and itching. Treat mild stings by washing the area and applying a cold pack to reduce redness and inflammation. You can also use calamine lotion to reduce itching.

Large local reactions

This type of reaction is more severe and it can appear in people who may or may not be allergic to wasp stings. Symptoms of a large local reaction include extreme redness and swelling (that increases over several days), nausea and vomiting. An over the counter antihistamine can help to reduce symptoms, or speak to your doctor if you’re concerned.


This reaction is extremely severe and requires immediate medical attention. Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction include hives, breathing difficulties, severe swelling of the face, lips or throat, loss of consciousness, nausea and dizziness.

If the recipient of the sting has an EpiPen, administer it as soon as symptoms start and call 999. Treatments for severe allergic reactions include additional epinephrine to calm your immune system and oxygen, steroids, or other medications to improve breathing.

Wasps can be a nuisance at best, and highly dangerous at worst, so get in touch with Copley Pest Solutions for professional wasp removal in Yorkshire and the North West. protect your family and home by calling our experienced technicians to remove wasp nests from your property. It’s important to act quickly to prevent further damage to your home, so give us a call today or contact us online.